From 1924-1936 Vancouver City Hall was located at the Holden Building, corner Hastings and Carrall. This made Woodward’s a frequent stop for political demonstrations, and a symbol of Vancouver’s business interests. The Great Depression saw the creation of an unemployment relief camp at Victory Square. The camp was run by the federal government, who promised workers basic accommodations in exchange for back-breaking labour. Workers at this camp protested these conditions and are reported to have descended on the nearby Woodward’s Building more than once.